Widow of Beheaded Oyo Teacher Appeals to FG to Recover Husband’s Body

tracknews
4 Min Read

 

The widow of a teacher who was reportedly beheaded during an attack on schools in Oyo State has appealed to the Federal Government and security agencies to help recover her husband’s body for burial.

The incident has continued to generate outrage across Nigeria after a video allegedly showing the killing of Michael Oyedokuna, a teacher at Community High School, Ahoro-Esiele, circulated widely on social media.

The attack reportedly targeted several schools, including Community High School, L.A. Primary School, Esiele, and Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota. Reports indicated that between 46 and 48 people, including teachers and pupils, were abducted during the attacks.

In an emotional video message released on Friday, the deceased teacher’s widow, Mary Oyedokun, pleaded with authorities to assist her family in recovering her husband’s remains. Speaking in Yoruba, she said she wanted him to have a proper burial place where relatives and future generations could pay their respects.

“I am begging the government to please recover the body of my husband. I want him to have a burial site for future reference,” she said.

The killing has sparked condemnation from celebrities, civil society organizations, religious leaders, and members of the public, many of whom described the incident as horrifying and unacceptable. Calls have intensified for stronger security measures to protect schools and rural communities from violent attacks and kidnappings.

Security agencies have continued rescue operations aimed at securing the release of those still being held captive. Authorities said efforts are ongoing to track down the attackers and restore safety in the affected communities.

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde assured residents that the government is deploying both kinetic and non-kinetic strategies to secure the freedom of the abducted victims. According to the governor, security agencies are working closely with local authorities and community stakeholders as part of ongoing rescue efforts.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu also condemned the killing, describing the act as barbaric and inhumane. The President assured Nigerians that security agencies had been directed to intensify operations to rescue the remaining captives and bring those responsible for the attack to justice.

The attack has renewed concerns over insecurity affecting schools and rural communities in parts of Nigeria. In recent years, kidnappings involving students, teachers, and residents have become a major security challenge, prompting repeated calls for improved intelligence gathering and stronger protection for educational institutions.

Community members in the affected areas have reportedly expressed fear and uncertainty following the attacks. Some residents called for a stronger security presence around schools and villages to prevent further incidents.

Human rights groups have also urged the government to provide support for victims’ families and survivors affected by the violence. Analysts noted that attacks targeting schools not only endanger lives but also disrupt education and create long-term psychological effects on students, teachers, and communities.

As rescue operations continue, attention remains focused on the efforts of security agencies to secure the release of the abducted victims and recover the remains of the slain teacher. The incident has once again highlighted the broader security concerns facing several communities across the country.

Share This Article
Leave a Comment